Wednesday, September 2, 2009

my catharsis

Happy Birthday to Me,
Happy Birthday to Me...

See what I got this year for my first of many 29th birthdays?

I have played every day since it arrived. The girls have too.

After the girls went to bed tonight, I sat down at my piano and played.

And played.

And played.

It was wonderful.

*sigh*

For years I have sat down at the piano when I am happy, sad, frustrated, tired, mad...the list goes on and on. I had forgotten in recent years how much I benefit from that release. I underestimated its importance. After a long day, I feel human again and I know my time at the piano helped me unwind and "come back"!

I learned yesterday that the wood is Tiger Oak. Sounds fancy. :) But the cabinet and the wood are both beautiful and I am excited at the possibility of polishing/re-lacquering it.

And on the girls playing -- It is magical, soothing, reassuring, reaffirming (this is a big one...makes me feel kindly toward them after difficult stretches), and just awesome to watch them each discover it in their own ways.

I don't even have to be in the room to know who is playing. Esther is gung-ho. She just goes at it. Heidi is more thoughtful. One note at a time. Searching it out. Autumn plays like a virtuoso (not technically at all...but in the "drama" of how she plays). Eric and I have joked that Esther will be the pianist, Heidi the composer, and Autumn the singer. There are elements of each that we hear reflected in their approaches to the piano.

10 Comments:

  1. Mandi said...
    Yay for pianos!
    Unknown said...
    That sounds wonderful! Even though I'm not very good at the piano and Lish only took lessons for less than a year, I would love to have a piano in our household.
    Rae said...
    I love reading about how your girls play differently! The piano is GORGEOUS--I'm glad to see extra detail in a bigger photo. I'm so happy for you!
    Lisa said...
    I am with you--I totally missed having a piano in the house when we didn't have one. I guess I have my violin, but since that was my major it felt more like work. And it's less comfortable to play. AND, the piano is always out--no rosining or anything :) ...I guess I'm trying to justify the fact that I really enjoy playing piano more. But I think that violin is more rewarding in terms of expression and orchestras and that sort of thing.

    ...anyways. I can relate :)
    Kristen said...
    Yea! That is so fun! I love your piano! It is gorgeous!!
    katyn said...
    I love your piano! It looks just like the one I grew up playing. sigh.
    Jean said...
    Yay!! What a perfect gift!! Happy birthday, girl!!
    Anna said...
    Abby it's beautiful, where did you get it?!!? I admit I have some piano jealousy going on. I have been missing having a piano for a long time, so hopefully when day soon, I can join the club too. :)
    What an awesome gift. Did you know it was coming or was it a surprise? Happy Birthday
    Abby said...
    Thanks guys!

    Lisa, I'm with you on that one! It just sits their, calling to you. :) And no rosining! :D

    Anna, I hope you can get one someday soon! I know it's been on your wish list for a LONG time. It wasn't a surprise. I actually went and played several different pianos in the two weeks before my birthday and then finally settled on the second one I had seen (thank goodness it was still available!). I found it on Craigslist.
    Jennie Z said...
    Congrats on the new piano! Happy Birthday too!!

Post a Comment