Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Some days I wonder how we're doing. Other days, I know without a doubt that we're doing just fine. More than just fine.

Yesterday we were making bread and Autumn asked why we were making three loaves. I said it was because we go through bread quickly and need grains to be healthy. She said, "We need 6 ounces of grain per day, depending on our activity level."

!!!!

And then says, "That's from The Edible Pyramid." (A book we got at the library. I haven't even opened it yet, but obviously she has!)

And today I looked out the kitchen window and found Autumn sitting in a swing reading a book. She would call to me periodically too, "I'm on chapter 7. I'm on chapter 8. This book is really good. I really like this." And then she came inside a few minutes ago to report, "I finished the book!"

I love moments like these. I love being home with my girls all day and the myriad of things I see in their school and play together.

I don't typically get political on my blog, but I want to throw this out there and just say -- did you guys know that there is talk of EXTENDING kids school days?! From 7:30am-5pm? I don't really think this will get very far, for many, many reasons. Of course, some schools do it already and others will likely pick it up, but I think there will be a lot of resistance to it becoming the norm. What happened to our kids being kids? They're going to walk in the door and fall asleep on the couch! Anyway...kind of crazy I think.

6 Comments:

  1. Lisa said...
    I love that story about Autumn. That's so adorable!

    And yeah, that is WAY too long for kids to be in school! But I guess I wouldn't be surprised if that was the future. You know that working parents will like that, so that they can save on after school programs. It's just like block scheduling--WHAT little kid do you know that can focus for 2 hours???? Zero.
    jjstringham said...
    I can imagine that school day for a high schooler, but can you imagine a 6 year old going to school for NINE hours?!? That's just crazy.

    I can't wait for my kids to be able to read. I just love the sight of kids reading books. :-)
    Wendi said...
    The day they extend the school day is the day that I start homeschooling. Though... there are other things that could get me to do that. That is absolutely ridiculous. I was glad when they still had half day kinder here so Shannon didn't have to go full day.
    Rae said...
    Ew. Just ew. I'm disgusted. Turning our children into little workaholics just to "match up" with the other countries? What would REALLY make us "match up" with the other countries would be an increase in QUALITY of education--not QUANTITY! Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. The second I come across a school that's already got this program in place, or if this really stupid idea somehow made it into mainstream, I will be homeschooling. That is just TOO MUCH.
    Qait said...
    Yeah, barf on that. No way would I even consider it. It's maniacal.

    I love Autumn. She's brilliant.
    Liz said...
    I'm afraid this is only one more reason that I do not like Obama. If that becomes the norm I will do homeschool.

Post a Comment