Saturday, March 15, 2008

Word Verification

Hey guys, just a little note about comments. I love comments. Please keep commenting! What I do NOT love is comment spam. In the past week I've received 2 comments from random people simply saying something like "Warning, click here". Um, yeah. Right. I deleted the comments and did not click the links. But it's still annoying. So to hopefully avoid this, I am adding word verification to the comments. It's simple. You've all most likely seen it on others' blogs. I knew it was supposed to help with spam but I didn't know why until I read this:

What this does is to prevent automated systems from adding comments to your blog, since it takes a human being to read the word and pass this step. If you've ever received a comment that looked like an advertisement or a random link to an unrelated site, then you've encountered comment spam. A lot of this is done automatically by software which can't pass the word verification, so enabling this option is a good way to prevent many such unwanted comments.

That was from Blogger's "help" feature. Nifty huh?

2 Comments:

  1. Rae said...
    Warning! ....just kidding. Cool.
    raehink said...
    I always wondered what those things were for...

Post a Comment