Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Reading TWILIGHT again





So I'm reading Twilight again. :) Amazingly, it's only my second read-thru. When I read books I love, I always want to read them a second time -- but I usually wait a long time to do so. But I was talking to a friend and she mentioned that when New Moon came out, Stephenie Meyer actually asked fans of Twilight to read New Moon twice. She said we'd all be so distracted (and I was) by what was happening that it would be better the second time. So while I'm waiting for a book that's on hold, I picked up Twilight for a re-read and got a big surprise!!

Did any of you realize that Robert Pattinson who is cast for Edward is actually A REALLY GOOD MATCH? I know...you're all saying, "No, no! He's not what I pictured at all." And I'll admit that I said the exact same thing! And I do hope they'll trim his eyebrows....but I discovered I've been picturing a skinny kid with BLACK hair!! Why, why, why? Have you? Am I alone in mis-reading this? Or reading the description and then discarding it for a different one my brain decided to provide?

Guess what it says in Twilight?

"The last was lanky, less bulky, with untidy, bronze-colored hair. He was more boyish than the others..."

and then another time Bella refers to him asking,
"Which one is the boy with the reddish brown hair?"

I'm astonished that this slipped past me. Anyone else?

6 Comments:

  1. Erika said...
    I love the Twilight series! I read it 2 times back to back (I NEVER re-read that close together, I normally wait years before re-reading). Anyway, I knew Edward had reddish-brown hair, I caught that, but I had a hard time picturing it. I also was picturing more of a darker color (like my husband's). I think they got an actor with a good hair color, but his face isn't really what I pictured. Not handsome enough for me. :) But I still want to see the movie!

    By the way, I love From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. :)
    Abby said...
    Erika, yeah...his face is not really as handsome as I wanted either. But I'm learning to accept it. He plays such a short part in Harry Potter so I'm really not sure what kind of an actor he is. I have high expectations for what it takes to play Edward correctly. I hope he does a good job. If not, there's always our imaginations. We know what we've pictured while reading. If the movie really falls short, at least we can go read the books again!

    You're just like me then, waiting years to read them again. It's been about a year since I read Twilight. So it hasn't been that long at all and I'm amazed at how much I'm feeling drawn into the story, all over again. Now that's when you know you have a good story huh? Second time around and it still makes me want to read all day.

    And to make a long comment LONGER...I'm so glad you've reading "The Mixed Up Files"!! I rarely meet anyone who has and I loved that book. There was a quirky movie made too. My blog used to be titled "From the Mixed Up Files..." (because that's my brain, mixed up files) and that's why the address is what it is. Of course, I could change it now, but then I'd have to make sure everyone knew the new address.
    Rae said...
    Oh, I do that all the time. All. The. Time. If the description doesn't fit for my imagination, I simply imagine it differently. (And then I'm shocked and sometimes mad when a movie is made that's actually true to the book's description...)
    Rae said...
    Abby!! Cedric Diggory!! How could you be unsure what kind of actor he is after that AMAZING portrayal? :) MMM...Cedric was beautiful. Why'd he have to die? *sigh*
    Abby said...
    Rae -- I guess I need to go watch Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire again. It's just that he plays SUCH a short part (what with dying and all...) that I don't know how he'll do. AND, you still haven't read Twilight yet have you?! You have to so we can talk about this more!! Because Edward's part -- it's going to take some seriously good acting.

    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who changes the way they look! I think this is the first time that's ever happened to me though. So funny. Ah well. This time around I did manage to picture him as bronze-reddish/brown haired. Most of the time. :)
    chucknorris said...
    abby, i guess im not as imaginative as you or maybe if i imagined him with black hair he'd be too much like harry potter- anyway, i pictured him like the book said. ! oh well. and abby, i thought cedric did a great job acting! and i've definately imagined characters different than they were described. by the way abby, i doubt your brain is like mixed up files! dang it, i just realized, you probably wont read this since im all late writing it. :( and one more thing: the only books i've read more than once besides the book of mormon? the outsiders (3 times) and a little princess (twice) and i wait between them. but sometime i want to read the harry potter books i think.

Post a Comment