Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sick, sick, sick

This is what happens when you're too sick to follow the toddler around...



When Heidi went to check on her she said, "Becca, you are just a disaster!"

Saturday started with a cough, Sunday the cough was worse. Sunday night was AWFUL. I barely got any sleep and was coughing and alternating between chills and fever.

Oh, we were a sight to see on Monday. I had a fever all day, along with all the other symptoms I'd been having. And I kept having this burning pain/pressure behind my eyes. We went into survival mode. I spent the day on various couches and chairs in the living room and the girls hung out with me, cuddling and watching movies. If there was ever a time when I needed Autumn & Heidi to pitch in without complaining or waiting to respond, Monday was that day and they went above and beyond.

Becca and I got lots of cuddle time on Monday.

And then, it being Valentine's Day and all, I had originally planned to pick up Eric's gift that day. There's no way I was going anywhere but the doctor's. I sent a facebook message to some of my friends that live nearby and my sweet, sweet, friend Susie wrote back and said she could pick up his chocolates (have you ever had See's Candie's Bridge Mix?! It is SO awesome. Eric says it's better than any other chocolate. It's manly chocolate. :D).

Not only did she pick up the chocolate, but she brought us chicken soup for dinner!

After Eric got home, I went to the urgent care clinic. I guess I should've taken a picture of me on my way to the doctor, for posterity....but this description will have to suffice:
- pajamas
- fuzzy socks
- normal shoes
- glasses with duct tape on the temple
- bedhead hair
- wrapped in a red blanket
- carrying my own tissue box

Awesome. No self dignity when it comes to being sick.

The doctor said I have the beginnings of either bronchitis or pneumonia. So I started a Z-pack Monday night and am slowly getting better. (Monday = lying down all day; Tuesday = sitting up a little, also lying down; Wednesday = sitting up, can putter around a little to take care of things) It's frustrating how gradual it is, but I'm trying to not overdo things. I really don't want to backslide.

When I got back from the doctor's, I had the best surprise waiting for me. The house was clean! Eric had cleaned up while I was gone. Of course, I also discovered he had to do double-duty cleaning. Esther threw up while I was gone. Okay, here it comes -- this may be TMI for some of you -- All the way from the couch to the toilet. Classic. The next morning, I mentioned to her that daddy had told me she threw up. She said, "That was so disgusting."

A morning bath. Sometimes it's just easier in the morning - especially when I'm sick.
You sure can't tell, but they really are happy about it.

Tuesday, Susie called to see how I was doing and said she was bringing dinner AGAIN because she wanted to make sure I had another day of rest. I live so far from my mom and Eric's mom, but I am so thankful that I have adoptive moms and aunts and sisters here. They are amazing.

And today? I got a call this morning from Ginny, another dear, dear friend. Really, these friends feel more like family than friends. We are just that close. And guess who's bringing dinner tonight? Yep. Ginny is.

She's almost done with the Half Blood Prince. She'd read all night if her body would let her.

Autumn and Esther have been sick too but have different symptoms and have gotten over it faster. The doctor thinks we all had something viral but then, with me, something bacterial became superimposed on that.

Oh yeah, and on top of all that, my laptop fell on the floor...it seemed fine at first and turned on a couple of times afterwards, but the following morning it wouldn't turn on at all. Eric fiddled with it and it's fine now. It has some dents and still needs to be opened up and fit back together a little better, but it functions! Phew!

So, overall, it's been a crazy few days but I think we're on the mend.

4 Comments:

  1. Abby said...
    Funny you should mention that, Teresa. Pei pa koa is also more commonly known here as honey loquat. We have the syrup and the drops and use them all the time. They're great.
    Qait said...
    awww... Abby, I feel such soft feelings for your wonderful friends and your darling daughters and loving husband for taking care of you.
    I love you so much.
    (My eyes are getting watery, but seriously, it's not ALL pregnancy).
    Your friends did what I would have done, and I will take just the tiniest bit of credit because I always pray for my family. :)
    Great post.
    I really love you!
    Abby said...
    Aw, Qait. You are so sweet. I love you!

    And then guess what else happened today? One of my visiting teacher's brought us brownies. And they are SO good. Wow.
    Rae said...
    Oh, how I love the people who take good care of you when I wish I were there to do it myself! This phrase warmed me through and through: "She would read all night if her body let her." I've been mulling that over and really enjoying it. :)

Post a Comment