Friday, November 30, 2007

I just got back from the most awesome walk/jog/almost run! I started walking this week and am walking three miles three times a week. I am SO excited to be doing something! It's been a long (and I mean long) time since I've exercised regularly. And even when I did, it never lasted.

But I can feel that this time around is different. I needed this on more than one level. Physically of course, but mentally and emotionally too!

Today was really good because I listened to music while I walked, which I didn't do on Monday or Wednesday. Holy cow! Eric said that Battlestar Galactica was the best workout music ever and I now know EXACTLY why.

Colonial Anthem
Escape the Farm

If you've got time to kill, download either of these songs and go walk around the house for a minute. By the time you're done, you'll understand. Or, if you're goofy enough to try it, walk in place while you listen to it. Seriously. This music is perfect for exercising.

At first I was walking, but I kept running in spurts and I was grinning like a fool the whole time. I think I would've jogged or ran the whole thing if our stroller could've handled it. I really want a jogging stroller now!

I used to listen to Deep Forest (here's a song by them: Sweet Lullaby) when I would clean (aka my Chinese music). Now I just listen to anything upbeat that keeps me going or anything that I can sing my heart out with when I clean. I'm so excited to have found something to exercise to! (I hear that exercising to music makes for a better workout, that you burn more calories too!)

I don't know what musical terms to use to describe either Deep Forest or Battlestar. Maybe some of you with Music degrees will be able to describe them after you listen to the tracks. Let me know! And I know that everyone has their own music preferences so I realize this music may do nothing for you, but it sure is working for me!

** Isn't there a way to put these songs directly into this post? Anybody else know how?

6 Comments:

  1. Anna said...
    That really is good music. I can see how that would be motivating. Good job for walking!!! Love you
    Lisa said...
    Hey, now that you told us about your running you have to stick with it :) We will be your guilt... or motivation... whichever :)
    Rae said...
    Goooooo Abby!!! :) Yay for you!
    Abby said...
    Lisa -- thanks! Hopefully it ends up being only motivation right? :)
    chucknorris said...
    hey abby! good for you! i know it's hard to find time to exercise, and i'm in HIGH SCHOOL! so um, i thought the music would be with a beat and like RUNNING music, i mean, it's cool music but for me it's too calm to exercise too. then again, sometimes i work myself too hard if the music is too upbeat. well good luck.
    Abby said...
    Maddie - the first one picks up in the middle of the song. So it's not really moving the whole time, but it works really well for when I'm getting started. Gives me a slow start that works into a faster pace. I like it, especially since I have to walk/jog/run up a steep hill to get out of our apartment complex. (Think steep hill like YOUR steep hill just down the street!)

Post a Comment