Friday, October 26, 2007

I am currently reading Talkers, Watchers, & Doers by Cheri Fuller and am so surprised at how engaging it is. Maybe deep down, we all like to read about ourselves and that has something to do with it.

The book is mainly about learning styles and how knowing a child's learning style can help you be a better teacher or parent. But since the topic itself is learning styles, it's easy to apply it individually as well.

I am now on page 54 but I just had to jot down some of the common points for each learning style. I've been trying to pinpoint my own learning style since I started the book. I'm still feeling it out, but I think I'm a Talker/Watcher with a little more emphasis on the Talker side.

What's your learning style? Or your husband's or your child's (children's)? Fuller points out in the book that many people have more than one learning style, but they usually use one more heavily than the other. I'd love to hear what you all think.

Here's a quick quiz from bits of the book thus far:

When you remember a number:

  • Do you say it out loud or repeat it several times in your mind? (Talker/Auditory)
  • Does your mind's eye "see" the number written in your address book? (Watcher/Visual)
  • Do you move your finger over an imaginary touch pad of the phone? (Doer/Kinesthetic)

How do you find your way in a new place?
  • Do you need clearly written directions telling in words how to get somewhere? (Auditory)
  • Do you like to use maps to find out how to get somewhere? (Visual)
  • Do you just have a "feel" for where you're going and how to find it? (Kinesthetic)

Which of these phrases do you use more often?
  • "A place for everything and everything in its place." (Visual)
  • "Let's talk about it." (Auditory)
  • "I'd rather have a creative mess than tidy idleness." (Kinesthetic)

This book has already been a real eye-opener for me. I see why I interact with the girls & Eric the way I do, why I approach teaching in certain ways, why I clean or don't clean my house in certain ways...and how I can better teach my girls. I love it!

And I found a nifty, new way to link to it for you. :)


2 Comments:

  1. Wendi said...
    That looks like an awesome book! I think that might be one of the first book I have to check out from the Windsor library. 1 week until we move! Yikes!
    Rae said...
    That's so cool, Abby--one look at the little quiz and I'm hugely auditory with some visual. :) My English teacher was watching me listen to her one day and noticed that my head was slightly to the side as I listened to her. She said, "You know, auditory learners often do that when someone is talking to them." Cool, huh?

Post a Comment