Friday, February 26, 2010

I've checked out several of THESE books recommended by my awesome sister. We are enjoying them all.

Tonight I picked up a few I've been wanting to look at for a long time. They're similar to Amelia Bedelia, at least when it comes to the wordplay idea. I love the idea behind Amelia Bedelia, although they're so cheesy and I've always wondered how she could be so dumb. They never do explain that. But I love the wordplay. And I love Tedd Arnold's Parts, More Parts, and Even More Parts. The three I picked up tonight fit in great with these others. They're all by Lynne Truss.

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really DO Make a Difference!

Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why, Every Punctuation Mark Counts!
The Girl's Like Spaghetti: Why, You Can't Manage Without Apostrophes!

And for old times sake, I checked out one of The Stupids books. Oh how I love this stupid family. I may have even been the one to start using the phrase in our family, or maybe it was mom. It became such a common thing in our family to laugh at our foibles and say, "The stupids....fill in the blank!" Like the time Mom picked Liz and me up from the airport and we stood in the elevator for five minutes talking before realizing none of us had pressed the button. "The stupids ride the elevator."

Check out this line from The Stupids Take Off:

On the spur of the moment
the Stupids decided to attend
little Patty Stupid's sixth birthday party.
"Why are there eight candles
on the cake?" said Buster.
"Because I didn't have six," said Patty.
"That makes sense," said Buster.

Bwahahaaaaa!!! If you ever need a laugh, pick up one of these books. You'll feel better in no time.

1 Comment:

  1. Wendi said...
    My kids LOVE Parts. We'll have to check out some of the others. I think I would love the stupids, but I'm trying to cut down on the usage of that word around here lately. It's Cameron's favorite adjective. Maybe i will have to smuggle the stupids into the house.

Post a Comment