Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I've posted this on our school blog but am so excited about it and don't really think it is "schooly" so I'm posting it here too! :D

We have three kid's cookbooks (Cooking Rocks! Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals for Kids, Wookiee Cookies: A Star Wars Cookbook, and The Spatulatta Cookbook) and I finally got around to going through them with the girls to make a list of things we'd like to make. As we were picking, I realized what a cool opportunity this is to teach them a little about menu planning and grocery shopping. Kids love eating and they love it even more when they get to pick what they're eating and then help make it, so I think this could easily be a long-term project.

For two weeks, I let them pick:
6 lunches
6 snacks
3 desserts
3 breakfasts
and
3 drinks

I didn't want to have my entire menu taken over by this but I also wanted to gave them a decent number of recipes to try, so I feel like this is a happy medium.

Tomorrow we're going to go through the list again and I'll have them read me the ingredients so that we can make a grocery list! I think even a kid that can't read would be excited by this (you could tell them the ingredients and ask what part of the grocery list to put them in -- canned? fruits? frozen? meats?).

I could see this becoming a regular thing at our house.

8 Comments:

  1. Qait said...
    Cool! That sounds SO fun! That is such a good idea, Abby.
    Rae said...
    I can't wait to try this here, too!
    Emnacnud said...
    love it, I am so trying this.By the way I may not comment a lot, but I do read a lot thanks for all the great posts.
    Abby said...
    Thanks Emily! :)
    Lisa said...
    That is way cool! You are such a good mom. I didn't know anything about cooking until I got married. So I'm still learning things that normal people learn from experiences from mom--aka how to boil an egg, how to knead bread dough, etc.
    Jean said...
    This is awesome. I bet this will end up being SO FUN for them!! Please post the progress!!
    Sheila said...
    GREAT posts, I loved them all!!! You are a really great Mommy!!! (and idea giver!!!)
    Anna said...
    What a great idea! I am sure your girls love it. What a great tool for them to have. I know a lot of my fondest memories from my childhood are grocery shopping,cooking, and just being in the kitchen learning things with Mom or Oma. That really meant a lot to me and is why I am so passionate about food.

Post a Comment