Thursday, February 28, 2008

Dryer Update




I wish I could say it was really complicated, that I had to take all these pieces apart and I now know all there is to know about dryers...but it wouldn't be true.

I was expecting to make a run to Home Depot or Lowe's for a fuse and didn't even have to do that. I opened up the back, where it looked like this:

Then I cleaned tons of lint off the wires and metal, called my brother-in-law a couple of times to make sure I was checking everything that I could, and when I plugged it back in - VOILA - it worked! Go figure....

In any case, I am VERY glad to have my dryer back (especially since I was already behind on laundry...another day and we wouldn't have clothes to wear!!).

EDIT: "Wait a minute. Strike that, reverse it." (Name that movie!) Once I finally got a load into the dryer, it ran for a few minutes and then stopped. I'll have to keep waiting to see if it just needs some time, but I'm doubtful.

This morning a repairman told me he was sure it was a fuse (based on the symptoms at the time). He was willing to come out and fix it for $75 (that's not going to happen -- this dryer is over 10 years old and NOT worth it. Might as well find another used dryer). So I called him again and explained the new problem. He said it was a disc that needs to be replaced. I asked how much that was if I came in to pick it up and fix it myself. Answer? $75. Seems odd. But I don't know very much about dryers, so maybe it's not that strange?

Anyway, I'm basically back to square one. To fix -- and how? Or to buy -- and where?

1 Comment:

  1. Anna said...
    Oh Abby, I am so sorry that it wasn't such a simple fix. I hope you are able to figure it out soon, whether to fix or buy. What a bummer. :(

    P.S. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Post a Comment