Monday, February 25, 2008

Dinner Surprises

On Friday I was all geared up and cooking chicken for my grandma's Broccoli Chicken Casserole when I had this overwhelming desire to just eat the chicken right out of the pan it was cooking in. :) I didn't. But I felt really sad thinking about cutting it up and mixing it into a casserole with mayonnaise and broccoli and stuffing. SO...I improvised. I put some slices of provolone on top of the chicken and let them melt, added some pepper and a tiny bit of basil, whipped up some instant potatoes and nuked some green beans and VOILA, all done! I was hopeful based on how good it looked but I don't usually improvise so I was also skeptical. It was SO good!!! We'll definitely be having it again.

Today was not as exciting but still a fun dinner surprise. I was cooking chicken (again...) when I realized the dish I was making was going to take longer than I had time for. SO...I improvised. Again. It wasn't quite the same though. I just realized that I had all the ingredients for Hawaiian Haystacks instead of Teriyaki Chicken.

What can I say? I'm easily pleased.

8 Comments:

  1. Emily said...
    Hey Abby, this is Emily White from Wymount. I know you posted on my blog forever ago and I've been wanting to say hi. Your little girls are so cute!! I miss them talking to me through the window when i'd pull up. What a sweet family. Hope all is well with you guys! I'll keep checking in!
    Unknown said...
    Hey Abby! I am so happy to be able to read your blog again! Thanks for the dinner ideas too - sounds yummy!
    Abby said...
    Emily, I'm so glad you'll be checking in and that blogs can help us stay in touch!

    Nicki, I can't believe I didn't have you on my list of people when I had my blog private for awhile -- I'M SO SORRY!! Glad you liked the dinner ideas. :)
    Lisa said...
    Wow, I'm impressed! That stuff sounds DELICIOUS!!

    I have the hardest time improvising recipes--I feel like I have to follow it WORD_FOR_WORD. Let alone change the meal altogether :)
    Abby said...
    Lisa, yeah, that's not my normal thing either! It was so weird but cool that it happened that way.
    Anna said...
    Good job Abby, it sounds yummy! Just recently I have began to feel more confident to improvise, but they are small things still. By the way, where did you get the new blog design, I love it.
    Abby said...
    Anna, I'm not sure which design you saw. :) I've had so many up tonight! But the first couple came from pyzam.com and the others from http://www.finalsense.com/services/blog_templates/tulip_template.htm

    I like the second site better.
    Rae said...
    ABBY!! I LOVE your new template and your new name!! I think they're perfect.

Post a Comment