Saturday, December 27, 2008

Strings

I love music with strings. I'm trying to make a playlist right now - violin, viola, cello, but not orchestral. Ensemble or solo (ensembles with other instruments are okay, like Eroica trio which is piano, violin, and cello). I want the playlist "just because" but I'm also thinking I'll pull from it to make one of a few playlists for labor.

Here's what I've got so far:
No. 3 Miero vuotti uutta kuuta from Five Finnish Folk Songs
(Silk Road Journeys: When Strangers Meet, Yo-Yo Ma)
Chi passa per'sta strada
(Silk Road Journeys: When Strangers Meet, Yo-Yo Ma)
Danse macabre, Op. 40, Camille Saint-Saens

(Devil's Dance, Gil Shaham)
La Ronde des Lutins, scherzo fantastique for violin & piano, Op 25, Antonio Bazzini
(Devil's Dance, Gil Shaham)
The Swan from Carnival of the Animals, Camille Saint-Saens
(Essential Yo-Yo Ma)
Berceuse from the opera "Jocelyn"
(Eroica Trio)
Bach Cello Suites (not sure which ones yet other than #1)
(Bach: Cello Suites, Yo-Yo Ma)

If you're not familiar with the ones above, I highly recommend hopping onto iTunes and listening to clips of them. They are all GORGEOUS.

But I need more!!!

Suggestions? Favorites?

4 Comments:

  1. Lisa said...
    Hahaha, this one has my name written all over it and now I'm feeling the pressure, since I rarely (if ever) listen to classical music for fun.

    Ummm... in my opinion the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto is the most gorgeous piece ever written. I like the 3rd movement of Vivaldi's Winter. The other movements are fine too. Bach's 1st unaccompanied sonata is one of my faves, and the rest are great, too, of course.

    Hope you like any of them :)
    Abby said...
    Thanks Lisa! I'm going to go look these up. :) Let me know if you think of any others.
    Qait said...
    Talk to Michael. He loves chamber music; it covers most of our CD rack.
    Heidi said...
    Abby, if you do decide to check out that free music thing then they have a big classical selection and a ton of ways to browse (composer, instrument, etc.) I picked up Vivaldi's seasons... and I already forgot what else. But they are still working in my iTunes. :)

    The birth I just attended my friend had some instrumental hymns playing and a few with vocals but I don't know performers. I most remember "Come, though fount of every blessing," because of that one line - "Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it..." Still brings tears to my eyes, it was so perfect and so beautiful at that moment... amazing.

Post a Comment