Sunday, December 28, 2008


For Christmas I got a book called Mommy Mantras: Affirmations and Insights to Keep You from Losing Your Mind. I love it! I'm so glad Heidi found it and blogged about it and that Eric got it for me for Christmas.

The inside cover says:

Mommy mantras are phrases you can say in your head, or out loud if you need to, during those trying moments of mothering. They act to empower you, revive you, and remind you that there is always another way to see your situation.
I just started reading it this week, but it's already been good for me. I woke up this morning saying to myself, "The pump is primed." That's the mantra for acknowledging that you're already on edge, already mad, already "whatever". It can help you move past that feeling more quickly and react to the feeling less. In my case, the pump was primed because Esther woke up early waking up Autumn in the process, they were both not quiet, and I was SO tired still. But I told myself, "the pump is primed" and left the room to get breakfast going. I didn't yell. I didn't snap at them. But I was able to talk to them about being LOUD and about waking up EARLY....although the latter is not something you can convince a 2 1/2 year old NOT to do...

6 Comments:

  1. Tiff said...
    Sounds very good...

    ... might have to look into that book.
    Rae said...
    I used that one today and was so pleased at how it really helped me moderate everything! It's awesome. I'm still turning over in my mind so many of the mantras you read to me yesterday--the kind of stuff that sticks. I'm going to have to buy it. :)
    Heidi said...
    I'm so glad you like it! I've loved it, I have my mantras up on a card on the fridge (okay, I have THREE entire cards filled with mantras) and I'm loaning the book to Becky this week.

    Rachel, www.half.com has copies for $6. That's where I got mine, worth every penny and more. :)
    Qait said...
    Hm...my birthday's coming up...this would be a nice present... *winkwink*
    chucknorris said...
    hey, dad wants me to tell you he loves you, since he's sees i'm talking to you right now. i was just gonna say, good for you for being a good mom! i don't understand it but it seems extremely hard, to the point where some days- i'm ashamed to admit this- but somedays i'm like... yikes... do i really wanna be a mom? i mean, i know i do, i'm just a scaredy cat about that i guess.
    Abby said...
    Maddie, thanks for the message from Dad. And don't worry -- you will be an awesome mom. Don't let the things that seem hard to you right now scare you away for too long. :)

Post a Comment