Saturday, May 3, 2008



It's funny to look back over the years and remember all the different things I've brought to church to keep our girls occupied. I remember having a huge bag, lots of snacks, and a drink. This is what we bring now. This is it. This is all it takes to entertain Esther for sacrament meeting. (Plus a sippy with water and two snacks - and amazingly, she doesn't usually eat the snacks!)

And see how there isn't any paper to go with the Color Wonder markers? They're old & dried out and she just loves to open and close them as well as put the lids on her fingers. We put the necklaces in that container and take them back out, she puts bracelets on one of my wrists, pulls them off and puts them on the other wrist, we put pennies or nickles in the mini-tupperware key chain. We put everything in the bag and take it out again. She's so easy to entertain!

Honestly though, I think Autumn & Heidi were also this easy - I just didn't know they were! I didn't even think to try keeping them busy in these ways. So this is what we bring for Esther and then we bring paper & writing utensils for Autumn & Heidi. That's it (And no snacks for Autumn & Heidi. We've been trying a new policy. Once they're out of nursery, no snacks during sacrament meeting. We did it with Heidi and it worked out great.) And nobody gets any of their stuff until after the sacrament has been passed. It's so exciting to me that this works!

6 Comments:

  1. chucknorris said...
    you make being a mom sound easy but i know it's not so uh yeah, i guess you really did accomplish something big! :D
    Abby said...
    Heh heh. Yeah Maddie, I guess I'll have to post some of our more crazy times to balance out the good. :) It's definitely NOT easy!
    Rae said...
    Man, you are such a smart cookie. Efficient!! Efficient cookie....efficient brownie....um. Intelligent dessert.
    Anna said...
    ok, I am jealous. Well,I guess I can't complain too much, Emma seems to do okay with the few things I bring, most of the time. Today was just a particulary bad day, as far as that is concerned, so I am jealous that the few things worked for you. :)
    Abby said...
    Oh Anna! I know what you mean. I almost added in my comment to Maddie that TODAY was an easy day, but not all days are alike. :) Ask Mom & Dad. When we talked on the phone a couple of Sundays ago, I was telling them about our Sacrament meeting that day, and things went horribly.
    Headle said...
    Very creative solution Abby!! I love your idea to use dried out markers and lids! You are awesome!!

Post a Comment