Sunday, May 24, 2009

How's that for a post title?!

Eric and I usually go to bed around 11pm. Last night was no different but we just couldn't seem to stop talking! :D I didn't even bother looking at the clock by the time we were falling asleep. I knew I didn't really want to know.

And then almost right after falling asleep, I woke to a wimpering in the other room. I found Esther lying in her bedroom door, poor baby. She was so tired but she knew she needed help. She must've thrown up in bed and fallen asleep again and then gotten up later. It was caked in her hair and around her face and she'd gone to the bathroom in her pants. [Oh yeah! Yes, I do mean pants! Underwear! We started potty training a week ago Saturday and it has been going GREAT. She has completely exceeded my expectations.]

Often when I'm up with a sick kiddo I have a tendency to be annoyed. Not at them, but at the situation. That I have to clean it up and that I've been woken up. This time I just felt very matter-of-fact about cleaning it up and found that my main thoughts were of Esther and how yucky she was feeling. So sad to see my kiddo sick. But I gave her a quick bath (definitely necessary this time) and then got her back into bed with clean sheets.

She threw up one more time...

And then shortly after I went to bed, Becca woke up. I just laughed. And guess what? Becca went to sleep last night around 8pm and she woke up at 6am! She's been going to bed anywhere between 6:30pm and 8:30pm and waking up around 5am for the last week. Looks like we're adding another hour. She's been adding an hour a week since about four weeks. I love it!

I gave Esther the option of napping in her room or in the living room today. I secretly didn't want to bother with a nap knowing she'd need to get to the bathroom often and quickly...she opted for a nap in the living room but never fell asleep. Fast forward a couple of hours and the rest of the family was home from church. Autumn & Heidi were playing in the dining room (more on that in a minute) and I realized I hadn't heard Esther for a few minutes. We found her asleep in her room.

one of our cutie-pies
...aaand, that's the girls' room...'nuff said...
No, not really. I have to say that we do have rules about tidiness.
How they follow them or DON'T is a different story...
And all the clothes? I'm sure they were all in their hamper this morning.
They must have needed the hamper for something dire...
Someday, it will get better. Right? RIGHT?!!


Eric and I had some nice quiet moments today while Autumn & Heidi "cooked" and the babes slept. We were fed gourmet snacks of celery sticks topped with peanut butter and raisins as well as carrot-celery-peanut butter-raisin sandwiches. They used a butter knife to chop the celery and carrots into bite-sized pieces and then stacked them with peanut butter in between each layer. It was surprisingly good!

They even made a recipe book. Here's what Autumn wrote out. See if you can figure it out on your own!

Sandwich
2 selery
1 rasin
1 can of penut butter

Cheese Sandwich
1 selery
1 carrat
1 rasin

Bredo Pancake
3 box rasins
1 pancake
1 can of penut butter

Vechtevel Sandwich
2 box rasins
1 string cheese
a copel of carrats
a copel an selery
1 can pennut butter

I know her spelling's not perfect, but I love how thoughtful it is! And I love how some words are written two different ways, as if she's still thinking about it and trying to puzzle it out. I think we may need to focus a little more on spelling... :)

Although Esther, Becca, and I didn't make it to church today, I wanted to dress Becca in a dress, so I did! And she looked so cute. And she was so smiley today. And I got it on camera!!

4 Comments:

  1. Jean said...
    Poor Esther!! That's the worst. I hope she's feeling a little better. Autumn's recipes are AWESOME. She's so creative!! And I love those pics of Becca. I want to cuddle her!!!
    Heidi said...
    Sick little ones make me so sad. :( I hope she's feeling better and no one else catches it.

    As for the clean room thing - it does get better. It must. Not that I have any evidence of that at all, but I have HOPE! :)
    Lisa said...
    Wow, you are a rock star. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to handle 4 kids :) I love Autumn's spelling--it's just too cute to see her writing!! And Becca's smiles are to die for.
    Jennie Z said...
    I haven't read your blog for a while. It is fun to catch up. It's funny how we can live so close and still not really know what is going on with each other! Sorry to hear Esther has been so sick. That is one of the worst things- cleaning up throw up. Knock on wood and maybe you won't all get it!! That is so cute that Heidi and Autumn were cooking for you. When you figure out the secret for clean kids rooms and the house too- pass it on. I always feel like a tornado has just come through!

Post a Comment