Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Yesterday as I was unpacking and Esther was playing near-by, I suddenly realized I didn't know where Heidi was. Sound the alarm! I called for her and at first got no response. But after a bit I heard a faint voice and was pretty sure she said "I'm under my bed". She still didn't come to me, but I could hear her. Bad news! You know something's not quite right if they don't want to come to you!

Two minutes later, I'm attempting to clean FOUNDATION out of her CARPET. There's no point in explaining how it happened...we all know. Something gets left out and someone gets curious....

I have yet to remove the stain. Not even two weeks into our new apartment. Sounds about right. :) Initiation for our new home. If it didn't know before, it now knows there are children on board.

Any suggestions on the carpet stain?

Fast forward one hour..
Same child...
Really....
But now we're in the kitchen making lunch and she's HELPING. No sarcasm this time. She opens up the fridge to get our the parmesan cheese and tells me that it's next to the "Cookie Butter". What? "The cookie butter, mom. We use it to make cookies. And we put it on toast." O-kay.... So, if you buy BLUE BONNET margarine with a picture of cookies on the front, it now has a new name - at least it will in OUR house.

This is their saving grace. Children know when they've done something wrong and sense a need to redeem themselves (or else...right?). Either that or they're BIPOLAR. ;)

I must add though -- I was really proud of myself and how I handled the incident. I did not yell.

3 Comments:

  1. Rae said...
    Wow. Wow, wow, wow. Coming from someone who is trying to break the yelling habit, WOW!! Good job, Abby. Foundation? Hmm....I know you guys are kind of anti-carpet cleaners....let's see....honestly, I'd soak it with Resolve, and then pour water over that. And then scrub it with one of those scrub brushes Mom used to clean our tubs with Comet.
    Rae said...
    "Take some carpet cleaner in a cup of very hot water, use a tooth brush and LIFT it out, don't scrub. If you have on a wet/dry vac or a carpet steam cleaner. The water will need to be lifted out with suction. If you use a towel or paper towels to dry it, it will make it 100 times worse. It needs to be vacuumed out. Make sure you use a lot of water. Water will raise the stain out of the carpet. You have to be quick so that the water can't soak back into the carpet. It is easier than ti sounds, and is the best way. It will get all the stain out. Good luck." I googled "getting makeup out of carpet" and got that. It was for getting eyeliner out, but it sounds like it'll work even with foundation. Maybe you can rent a carpet steamer/cleaner. A lot of grocery stores offer that service.
    Abby said...
    Thanks Rae! The email you sent after these two comments is the one that sounds the most promising. I'll let you know how it goes....

Post a Comment