Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Well, I think this is good preparation for Florida (if there is good preparation for something like this...). A couple of Saturdays ago Maddie, Autumn, and I went shopping in Machida and found this as we walked down some stairs. Heidi is fascinated by all insects (Autumn is VERY interested too) so we decided to take it home with us. Whew, I felt brave carrying this beetle in a small tin in one of my shopping bags. And -- it was still alive when we got home! Maddie & I named it Jordan (had to go with something asexual), but I referred to him as "Mr. Bug" in the end.

Yes, that's a 1/2 CUP.


Two days after this, Maddie found a HUGE spider in the backyard. I found a container and Mom caught the spider. We saved it overnight (I had to get over the heeby-jeebies before I could fall asleep...yeesh) to show the girls, especially Heidi. And the first thing Heidi said when she saw it? "Let's open the lid!" Yeah...right...like that's gonna happen. We've done really well encouraging their interests and have read OODLES of bug books from the library, gone on nature walks -- even caught bugs for them -- but I draw the line when it comes to letting spiders loose! I'm not especially squeamish when it comes to bugs and creepy crawlies...but I do admit they're not on my list of favorites. And if you're curious...take a look at your thumb, top joint. That was roughly the size of the spider body -- NOT counting it's LEGS!

4 Comments:

  1. Rae said...
    COOL!! That's enormous! Reed is also fascinated by bugs right now, particularly rolly polies. (I seem to remember having a lasting fascination with them myself....) He likes to put one in a cup and keep it next to him on the couch. He even asked if he could bring one in the bath with him. Yesterday he came in with the bottom of his cup rattling and said, "Mom, I caught LOTS this time!!" Sure enough, there were about ten in the bottom of the cup, all rolled in protective roundness.
    raehink said...
    That's a great beetle! Is it a Hercules Beetle? Did you try to identify it? We've all enjoyed your Japan Chronicles!
    Abby said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Abby said...
    Rae - It's not a Hercules beetle and we hadn't tried identifying it (beyond knowing what it was NOT) until you asked. We now have two books from the library -- in JAPANESE -- with pictures but haven't found one that matched yet.

Post a Comment