Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A first for me

I'm not sure if I should be embarrassed to admit this, but I'm not -- and I just have to say...

Today was my first time driving the LA freeways since we moved here in August!

And I'm alive still and so is everyone else that went with me. And I drove in the day, and the night. And it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. But I should probably get a massage to loosen up some knots. And I should do this more often to avoid the knots.

It's so weird too that I managed to live 20 miles from LA for 10 months and not need to go on the freeway as the driver. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not a "nervous Nellie" but going from 3, possibly 4-lane freeway driving to SEVEN lane freeways...I wasn't feeling antsy to go anywhere via freeway right away. I'm a go-getter and when I move to a new place I'm all over figuring out the best ways to get around and what's where. So...this is really outside of the norm for me. But GO ME! I'm still happy about it and looking forward to becoming more familiar with the freeways around here. (Just not during rush hour...anything but that...please?!)

8 Comments:

  1. Jean said...
    Yeeeeaaaaah Abby!!!! Okay, first of all, I'm really impressed that you managed to get around so long without driving on a freeway. (I'm assuming that it was Eric driving down to Orange County.) Wow!! How is that even possible?? And secondly, GREAT job on tackling them freeways!!!! Now you're a pro. And you shouldn't be afraid of rush hour -- it's pretty much just like waiting for a traffic light to turn green. (Hahaha!)
    Lisa said...
    I hate driving on unfamiliar freeways. Totally freaks me out. Good job branching out ;)
    Rae said...
    From your Nervous Nellie sister, WOW! YOU ARE AWESOME!

    :)
    Tiff said...
    I'm going to assume by both your fairly decent mood as well as Jean's "shouldn't be afraid" comment that the both of you have yet to tackle the 405...
    Abby said...
    Tiff - yep. Not the 405. And from your tone, I'm guessing we DON'T want to, huh? I had to look it up to see where it is...there are too many freeways here! Last night was the 60 and the 57. We took my sister Maddie to Disneyland and Eric met us there after work.
    Qait said...
    Cool, Abby! Brought back lots of memories of driving in Atlanta...phewf. I think the only reason I was so calm about it was that that's where I learned how to drive on freeways at all, so I knew nothing different, really. Poor Mom, though. We had a lot of *gasp* moments when she'd put one hand out to me and the other hand to her heart and sit there panting out the adrenaline overdose...
    and I'm not a bad driver.
    Heidi said...
    I hated the LA freeways both times I lived there and whenever I visited. I lived off the 10 in Claremont and the 101 in Agoura Hills but we had to take the 405 to the temple from the 101 and I would rather take the 1 because it was less horrid than the 405. (And much prettier view.)

    I'm having flashbacks. That's a vivid memory from C's birth, having to take the stupid freeway to the hospital and praying we didn't die on the way. But Kit says driving my parents' full size van into Paris made LA traffic look tame - I wouldn't know, I was covering my eyes on the road into Paris, too. :)

    All that to say, HOORAY - congrats on conquering the LA roads!!!
    Trishelle said...
    It never ceases to amaze me how it seems that our families are always living parallel lives...usually on opposite sides of the continent. (I drove in downtown Jax by myself for the first time this week...although, driving in LA by yourself is a lot more impressive!!)

    Your off-the-charts awesomeness continues as you continue to school LA how to be uber-cool!

Post a Comment