Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Necessary Nuisance

Okay...

I've had it up to HERE with buying toilet paper, dish soap, and toothpaste!

These things should last three times (or more!) longer than they do in my house (lately...). It's already annoying enough to have to buy something just so you can throw it away (speaking especially of toilet paper...), but to buy it and then have it used for something other than its purpose...

Why? Why? Why?

I know, I know....this too shall pass. I am not this feeling (although I usually disagree with that in the moment...). This feeling is temporary. And my favorite, I can do hard things!

Tell me please, someday they'll buy their own, right? Maybe I should use their piggy bank money to replenish? Or do I simply scold and leave it alone, accepting that they're kids and this is how it is for now? Granted, it is just toiletries...really. In the grand spectrum of parental frustrations and hardships, there are many more higher on the list.

Today I threatened to give them toilet paper, dish soap, and toothpaste for Christmas...

4 Comments:

  1. Heidi said...
    I think that's a brilliant idea, toilet paper under the tree and toothpaste in the stockings! :)

    I should send you the picture of what Moira & her cousin did on Thanksgiving at my sister's place. It involved a bathtub, every toiletry they could get their hands on and an art project called, "Making cakes!" I was horrified but my sister assured me this was not a big deal. I need more of her perspective.

    My mantra for today is, "Within me there is a peacefulness that cannot be disturbed." I stood in the kitchen one day yelling that. :)
    Tiff said...
    You have 4 daughters... toilet paper will always be vanishing. LOL When David and I got married, he was shocked at how fast the toilet paper would go. Guys don't use it as frequently so they just don't comprehend.


    *hugs*
    Rae said...
    HAHA--Heidi, this morning, "Within me there is a peacefulness that cannot be disturbed" is what I was saying to myself as my kids were fighting LOUDLY and the chaos just swarmed around me. Then I laughed bitterly...heh....:)

    Abby-I wish I knew what to say, but you know my children do the SAME! Destructive play runs in the genes, I suppose? Or should we re-label it "deconstructive creative play"?
    Qait said...
    AHhahahha oh, I love you! I can just imagine you telling them they'd get TP for Christmas. I don't know, Abby, do whatever you think works best! I mean, I probably did things like that when I was a kid--and I have no memory of Mom doing anything other than being upset and scolding me. Eventually I got it. Except I still use too much toilet paper. And dish soap. (But I really ration the toothpaste).

Post a Comment