Thursday, April 30, 2009

Knock-off Recipes

Alright, I need help from all my army brat friends that lived in Germany. Have any of you had ANY luck in finding a recipe for fries that mimic the Raja Imbiss fries? Or doner kabobs? It's really funny to me that those were so popular in Germany and neither of them are german at all. I think the doner kabobs were turkish and the raja imbiss stand was greek? indian? Can't remember...

Anyway, I'd love to try to recreate those flavors.

It's fun to search for knock-offs that are yummy enough to satisfy cravings like that. We've made a Cafe Rio/Bajio's salad three times in the last month and a half now and it is YUM-MEE!

I also have a couple of fun books that have recipes for things like Kentucky Fried Chicken, Twinkies, Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls, and stuff like that. Someday I'll remember to share the recipes we've tried....

Anyone else have yummy knockoffs they can share?

8 Comments:

  1. Rae said...
    I would like to second your request for help, though I'd describe mine as a DESPERATE plea for help. :)
    Heidi said...
    I third the request.

    I have the Top Secret Restaurant Recipes book and love it - have you checked out that guy's website? He has lots of free recipes posted. The Marie Callendar cornbread, Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole, Olive Garden Hot Artichoke Spinach Dip and Fettucine Alfredo recipes are some of my favorites. When I'm allowed to eat eggs and dairy, that is. :)

    Oh, I also have the recipe somewhere for the Macaroni Grill rosemary bread (Becky gave me that one) and Outback Steakhouse's brown loaf of bread. Both are so good. Let me know if you want any of them.
    Emnacnud said...
    man i wish i had the recipe for that, i do think paprika is in it but that is not much help. we have done the rio salad too and yes yummy is the word. i have a pizza hut pizza recipe i use that is good, not pizza hut good but still good.
    The Trevor said...
    I bet those kabobs are like the ones in Italy that the Turks sell...

    Those were my favorite thing ever.

    Sadly, there is nothing like it that I've ever seen in the States.
    Qait said...
    SHARE!!!
    I'm dying to have Raja Imbiss fries again. That was something my allowance was dedicated to every week of my ten year old life. And I ate the entire 1-lb. bag all by myself. MMMMMmmmmmm.
    Christine said...
    In college one time my guy friends made some home made fries that came pretty darn close to raja imbiss fries. He used some random all purpose seasoning mix that I haven't been able to find. It's tragic I know. It was an orange seasoning if that helps....sorry.
    Jenn said...
    If you get a great recipe for Donner Kabobs, please email it to me. They were really big in Belgium too and I absolutely LOVE them.
    Abby said...
    If you haven't seen yet -- I found a doner kebab recipe!

    And JENN, how did I miss knowing that you lived in Belgium?? Why have we never talked about this before? WHERE? WHEN? I graduated from high school in Belgium. I was there from 98-99 and my family was there from 98-00 or 01.

Post a Comment