Friday, April 10, 2009

Okay, I need your help guys. I've been reading and know that for newborns it can be hard for them to poo (yep, I said poo on my blog...sorry...). Babies are actually very rarely constipated. When they seem like they are, it's because they have two contradictory jobs to do at the same time and are having a hard time doing that! They have to contract the colon and relax the bum at the same time. Instead, a lot of babies will contract both...

That leads us to my problem. Our poor little girl seems to be having a hard time figuring it out. We've had several episodes where she has been fussy for roughly 2 hours at a time because she's trying to take care of business and just can't figure it out!

I've tried baths and infant massage to help her relax...but it hasn't been successful. It might have helped a couple of days ago, but none of it helped last night. That's when it's worst -- when it hits her in the middle of the night!

Any suggestions? Any magic tricks?

Now I'm going to go back to sleep while I wait for your replies. :)

I might even snore. As Esther would say, I might "honk-shoo".

8 Comments:

  1. Liz Johnson said...
    I sometimes found that wiping the bum would help, even if there wasn't any poo yet. Beyond that, I've got nothin'. GOOD LUCK!!! I hope she figures it out soon!
    Wendi said...
    Liz's comments remind me of what my zoo cousins had to do for the baby deer. They basically had to wipe the baby's bum to simulate the mother deer licking to stimulate the poo action.

    Julie has an easier time of it if she's up on my shoulder... I don't know why, but that's all I got.
    Rae said...
    Don't know why I forgot this while we were on the phone the other day--you can also (also as in along with wiping her) push a little on her butt cheeks. (How else to say that?) Call me if you need more details; I'm already blushing from typing "butt cheeks" (that's TWICE) into the comment box.
    Tiff said...
    Weeeeeeeeeeeelllllll - along with colic, Malia was pooping, oh, MAYBE every 2 weeks or so.... if we were lucky.

    The chiropractor not only eliminated colic immediately, but Megan Bernards was holding Malia the night after her first visit and she had a MAJOR blow-out all over Megan.

    Megan wasn't too happy but I was ecstatic... so you may want to consider the chiro. You have to kind of look around. A lot of them claim to do babies, but not all of them are any good...

    And if you're heading to Utah any time soon, I know the best one.
    Heidi said...
    We had the opposite problem because my kids' little digestive tracks don't like dairy and there were massive blow outs if I consume milk products. So my advice is to eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's. :)

    Sorry, I'm no help. But the ice cream may make you feel better?
    Emnacnud said...
    anika had really slow bowles (no discomfert but only one bowl a week) and my doc gave me sapasatories(bum pills), she did not end up needing them she just did not have to go very much but that may help. my kids did have uncomfertable gas thought and i would give them gas drops. sorry not much help, you also my try a high fiber diet for you so she can have some fiber help her out. i hope you find something that works, it is no fun when those little ones are in pain.
    Mills Family said...
    My friends 2 week old had the same problem when switching to formula. The MD told her to put a tsp of prune juice in with each bottle. It is working!
    cmnacnud said...
    Wow so many people have an opinion about poo :) It was already mentioned, but chiropractic has been known to help with bowel/bladder issues. I'm still researching it the problem is that no one really knows how it works. The best hypothesis at this time is that it improves nerve flow to the sphincter and organ so that the messages can get through. Not that why really matters to you, but it has been shown to work better than half the time. By they way, Tiff, how do you know me :)I've been trying to get the word out around Utah, but...

Post a Comment