Monday, April 30, 2007

We finally gave Eric his graduation gift after his graduation on Friday (a Nikon D80 camera and several accessories). That day just couldn't come soon enough for me. I was certain he suspected, so sure I couldn't possibly have kept this secret for almost three months without him getting any ideas.

Well, I did it! And those who contributed and knew about the secret -- we ALL did it! He truly had NO idea. And couple of days before graduation, I really could tell he had no clue. I hinted at that time that he was getting a BYU Ring, like we'd talked about months ago. He was awed that family would pitch in to buy that because of the cost and so excited! He had no clue just how much his loved ones would pitch in to buy him this gift of congratulations.

We (Mom & Dad Hanson & me) really wanted to give him one piece of the package at a time between his recital and graduation, but we knew that he'd be so frustrated -- it just wouldn't be fun! So we came up with another plan. We did a scavenger hunt for the gifts, ending with the camera itself. Mom Hanson and I made clues to guide him from one gift to the next.

First, we wrapped the memory card into a jewelry box (to keep up the RING idea) and then put that inside of a HUGE box. The jewelry box was the perfect touch to keep up our ruse to the last minute.

Here he is so excited but also in shock, and not quite sure if he should trust what he thinks this means -- a memory card in a huge box...


Here are the notes he had to riddle out, starting with the one found with the memory card:
#1: Your next surprise can be found inside a place that's used as a case...think suits.


#1 Answer -- SUITCASE, contents - a hard case/briefcase for his camera & equipment

#2: Surprise number two
is just for you
but you might have to crawl
and please don't bawl
(or whine...)


#2 Answer -- CRAWLSPACE, contents - a smaller and softer case to carry the camera

#3: Number three gives support.
Look for it with the same sort.


#3 Answer -- DANCE BELT (same thing as a jockstrap really), contents - Tabletop Tripod

#4: I'm bigger than the last
and you better find me fast
Cuz I'm hiding in a place
Where your littlest likes to pace.


#4 Answer -- EXERSAUCER, contents - Large Tripod


#5: Bathrooms aren't fun to clean
But with this, objects can be better seen.


#5 Answer -- BATHROOM CLEANING SUPPLIES BUCKET (sounds long and complicated, but he knew exactly what we were hinting at, especially since it's his job to clean the bathrooms)
Contents - Lens Cleaning Kit

#6: I've set up my hide-away
with things that help you play,
you need them for TV
but they're useless without me.
(this one is my favorite, I think it's pretty clever and more "riddle-like" than the rest)


#6 Answer -- REMOTE & GAME CONTROLLER BASKET
Contents - Battery

#7: My capabilities are really neat
You'll find me in your favorite seat.


#7 Answer -- Plush Office Chair
Contents, Memory Card Reader

#8: Nothing is clear without these three
So we've put them with others that help you see.


#8 Answer -- CONTACT CASE
Not contents, but sitting next to the case were - three camera lenses

#9: Look at some art
To find this last part

We love to you boot!
Get ready, set, SHOOT
(pictures, that is...)

He's getting emotional now, but trying not to...

#9 Answer -- GREG OLSEN PAINTING
Contents, D80 Camera, of Course :)

Yesterday he created a photo-blog for anyone who wants to
keep up with the pictures he's taken and will continue to take.
www.photobloggers.net/abigated
We went for a walk on the BYU campus yesterday and
got some absolutely BEAUTIFUL pictures.


2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hi Abby,
    Honestly, I didn't read ur blog post but, I thought that ur blog title was sooo cool. I, actually read the book and I think it was so fun to read.By the way, I'm gail of the Philippines. I wish for ur happiness. Gud Luck!
    Crystal said...
    Great gift! Love the scavenger hunt idea.

Post a Comment