Thursday, June 18, 2009

As a kid, everyone in my family referred to flatulence as "toots", "tooting", "tooted" and the like...

That was when grown-ups were around.

When they weren't, without fail I think we all said "farted".


In our home now, we refer to flatulence either way. I just don't really care...well, let me clarify...if there's company or we are somewhere else, we call it gas or tooting and are very polite. :D And I teach my kiddos to try not to pass gas in public. But when it's just us...well, we're a little more casual in reference...

SO...

A couple of days ago Esther farted (or tooted, fluffed, whiz pop [that's from Roald Dahl's The BFG], barking spider, cut the cheese, bubble...whatever makes you most comfortable...). Eric said, "What was that?" and Esther said, "I burped. But not in my mouth."

Yesterday she was at it again and I said, "What do you say?" She looked at me in confusion and said, "Fart-ed?"

A lesson in etiquette followed...

Today, yet again, I asked, "What do you say?" She looked at me and said, "Thank you."

BWAHAHHAHHAA!!!

Eric and I laughed so hard I started crying.

8 Comments:

  1. Rae said...
    Referring my Cara to this post. :) Phill says he loves Esther.
    Abby said...
    Awesome Rae. :D
    Wendi said...
    Heh. In our family it was always boop. My mom tried really hard to teach us to not pass gas except while in the bathroom, but her dad who lived with us growing up successfully undermined those efforts. We were good in public... just not around each other.
    Lisa said...
    HAHAHA Thank you. That's what I'll say now. :)

    And we always just said "Fart". We were pretty laid back.
    Trishelle said...
    HILARIOUS! I'm from a family with very strict wording requirements for bodily functions. I'm still working on being okay with the 'f' word but I'm getting there. Hehehee
    Anna said...
    Hilarious!! That's my niece.
    Qait said...
    I like to come up with more creative words than "fart," but sometimes they really match the word as an onomatopoeia (sp?).
    Esther's the best!
    Liz said...
    So hilarious!!!
    Did you know we usually say "boof?" Pat's sister, Stephanie, said that her college roommate's mom used to require them to say boof, and Stephanie shared that with Pat & I, and we thought it was so silly and funny that we decided to use the word.
    Esther is learning her manners! How cute!

Post a Comment