Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I love my crockpot.


We got a small one as a wedding gift. It was great. Until it wasn't. I think we donated it to Deseret Industries to bless some other newly-wed couple who only needed to feed two people at a time.

Right around that time, Anna got married. Such perfect timing. :) She was given two crockpots as wedding gifts and gifted us with one of them. Anna, did you know I think of you every time I use it?

When we get busy (and I'm thinking ahead) it's such a lifesaver. Here are some of my favorite crockpot recipes:

Shredded Sweet Pork Salad (aka Cafe Rio Salad!)
Potluck Beans (Pork & Beans -- this is my favorite pork & beans recipe now. It says it cooks tons, but for our family of six we only end up with leftovers for two lunches the next day. I suppose if you're really taking it to a potluck and it's a side dish, it makes a lot. But we usually eat it as a main dish with cornbread casserole and fruit. This calls for a pound of beef, but I'm going to be making it with 1/2 a pound. Not because it needs less, just because I can and it'll still taste awesome.)
Yogurt (I've substituted the regular milk here for powdered milk several times! I usually use 1/2 C - 1 C more powdered milk than it calls for, to get it thicker.)
Chicken and White Bean Stew (This is not originally a crockpot recipe - just cook the bacon and onions first and then add to the other ingredients in the crockpot. I leave out the spinach.)

Non-crockpot recipes that work great in the crockpot:
stroganoff
bbq chicken/pork sandwiches
spaghetti sauce
french dip sandwiches (just the meat of course...)
Hawaiian Haystacks
Lil' Smokies with a ketchup/worchestershire sauce/brown sugar mix (perfect for New Year's)

It's also really handy to cook frozen chicken in the crockpot so that it's ready to use in recipes when you're ready to make dinner.

Yesterday I saw a post on Pioneer Woman about a new book called Fix-It and Forget-It Kids' Cookbook. There are several versions of the Fix-It and Forget-It books. I've checked out the basic one from the library and liked several recipes. Our library doesn't have the kid's version yet (it just came out this month). As soon as it does though, we're going to check it out. It looks awesome. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and desserts that kids can throw in the crockpot and make? I think the girls are going to be doing a lot of our cooking in the near future. I'm looking forward to the break!

What crockpot recipes do you have that you love?

You know that saying, "That's a bunch of crock!"?
Kind of weird that we call it a crockpot...


7 Comments:

  1. Rae said...
    Abby, I copy-pasted most of these recipes to my Food folder! Thank you.
    Jean said...
    I love my Fix-It-and-Forget-It book! I'm so glad that there's another one!!
    Trishelle said...
    RIGHT ON, sister!! Yum! Thanks for the recipes. They sounds amazing!
    Molly said...
    YAY!!! A post just for me! I feel so special.

    So here's some fave's off the top of my head.

    Momma's pot roast
    chuck roast/carrots/potatoes/onion cut in 1/2...cause I LOVE how it tastes, but I'm the only one who actually eats it.
    Put it in the crock

    Mix 2 cans golden mushroom soup, 1 packet of brown gravy, 1/2 cup H2o, pour in the pot (often times I double it)


    shredded chix burritos

    1-2 chicken breasts
    1 can black beans drained
    1 can frozen corn drained ( i prefer frozen)
    1 1/2 cup salsa ( i use the whole jar)

    cook for 3 hrs on low, 1 1/2 high.
    Shred the chicken , put back in the pot and mix it all up! Serve on tortillas with cheese. A little sour cream never hurts either!
    Believe it or not, that feeds my fam of 8!

    That's all I've got for now. Your recipes look FABULOUS! I'm so gonna give these a try. Thanks so much Abby!
    Anna said...
    Oh I am so flattered that you think of me everytime you use your crockpot (we actually got 3 of them for our wedding, so it really was our pleasure to share the wealth.:)) Your recipes look yummy, I am excited to try them.
    Qait said...
    I'm very very sleepy, so you know my random mention that I do chicken noodle soup in a crockpot? On that other post? All I meant was that you can do plenty of normal recipes in them, too.
    There's no way I can remember right now, I won't even try.
    But I'm excited to make yogurt! And some other stuff! Yay! Thanks for posting those recipes!!!!!
    Molly said...
    Hey, it's me again...so I'm menu planning for the upcoming week and I thought I'd give a few of your recipes a try! Quick question though, on your baked beans recipe you said you eat it with a cornbread casserole...yum...could you share that recipe too??! Thanks!!!

Post a Comment