Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I got an email from a friend last week letting me know that the Church has a new website for younger kids! It's part of the official Church webpage. Like before, you can see all of the friend magazine articles (and for the ones from 2000 onward you can see the actual format you would get in the mail if you click on pdf). However, they have ADDED sections with:

  • Watch Slideshows
  • Listen to Stories
  • For Little Friends (from the Friend)
  • Watch Matt & Mandy
  • Print Coloring Pages
  • Print Activities
  • Color Online
  • Play Games
  • Scripture Stories (audio for download, identical to the Scripture Readers, as well as video of the Scripture Readers, still animation I think it's called?)
Cool huh?!

And today I stumbled upon a GREAT find! [The link is for the 1st grade page but if you skip to the bottom you can select different grades.]

Math & Language Arts Games & Skill Builders (isn't that just a fancy way to say games so you'll feel better about your kids playing games?!) categorized by grade level. It goes all the way from Kindergarten through 8th grade. The selection is not as good for 3rd grade through 8th grade but it looks like those pages also redirect you to some sites that may have tons more. For K-2, there are SCADS of games! And several of the K games would be great for Pre-K too.

If you try them out, let me know what you think and which games you like best! There are so many, we've only tried a few so far.

ALSO -- does anyone else know of a good typing game for kids? Preferably free??

10 Comments:

  1. katyn said...
    What great finds! Thanks for posting those.
    Liz Johnson said...
    I wish I did... if I find one, I'll keep you posted.

    Keep letting us know about your great finds!! I bet you have a TON of resources with the homeschooling thing. Please share!!!

    Do you have a separate blog for homeschooling?? If so, can I have the link??
    Abby said...
    Liz, I have a separate blog for homeschooling stuff...but it is SO outdated! I thought I would put anything/everything homeschooling there but I just don't have time and what little I do blog about homeschooling seems to end up on my regular blog. :) If I get better about scanning cute things the kids do or blogging about special projects we do, I'll put them up there. I also did it in wordpress just because I wanted to try that out...but maybe someday soon I'll be switching it over to blogger. SO...long story short...if you want it, here it
    is:http://learningtofish.wordpres
    s.com/
    Headle said...
    Abby!!
    Those links are AWESOME!!! I've been wanting to do more Math activities with Drew so this is PERFECT!! Thank you sooo much!! :D
    Heidi said...
    Kit found a free typing game for Christopher but I don't know details - I'll ask him tomorrow.

    Thanks for the posting the church one, I'm going to go explore it.

    I love when friends homeschool and I can learn from all their great resources! I feel like I'm finally getting back into the swing of things after my maternity leave. :)
    Trishelle said...
    Abby, thanks for the scoop! I got home yesterday and found Chris and Bunny navigating through all the new stuff. They were having a blast!

    Seriously, you know the coolest stuff! I appreciate your willingness to share!
    Abby said...
    I'm so glad you guys are all liking the links!!

    I just realized I have another link I've never blogged about. Heidi calls it "The Room Game" and asks for it ALL the time. When you go to it, you can turn off the top frame and then click on the ladybug on the table to fill out the whole screen.

    http://childparenting.about.com
    /gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1
    /XJ&sdn=childparenting&
    cdn=parenting&tm=33&
    f=20&su=p284.8.150.ip_&tt=3&bt=1&
    bts=1&
    zu=http%3A//www.poissonrouge.com/
    Emily said...
    Abby THANK YOU for your advice on my last post! i really appreciate your wisdom and experience! some days I feel like I know what I'm doing but others I feel so clueless! It's nice to have a network of moms! You're awesome. Hope you're doing well on the home stretch!
    Heidi said...
    I miss Abby posts! I hope all is well.

    Kit says the typing game is Tux Typing? He wrote about Tux Math here:

    http://thadenpierce.org/school/?p=463

    He's looking for the typing website now, I'll email it to you.
    Abby said...
    AW! Thanks Emily!! It was fun to think about all the stuff you were asking about and share some of my ideas. I also enjoyed reading what everyone else said. Hope you're doing good in the home stretch too!

    Thanks Heidi! I found the typing website by googling Tux Typing. But the same site did not have Tux Math...so weird. I had it on my other computer but haven't added it to my new computer. I went back to Kit's post on it though and now we're good to go. Hang tight for new posts. Hopefully I can get my act together soon. :) I have a lot I've been wanting to post.

Post a Comment